Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My cub cadet 1050 lawn tractor is shutting down after mowing…

Customer Question
My cub cadet 1050...

My cub cadet 1050 lawn tractor is shutting down after mowing for a short while if it sits for a while and I use some carb cleaner it will run for a short while do a tune up routinely do you have a solution I read it may be vapor lock from overheating muffler

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

4 or 5 years but this year is the worst I could deal with it before now can't even get it started

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/13/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

There is a fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor. This solenoid plugs the main jet when it is off. When mower is cold, flip key on and off, and listen for this solenoid to click each time key is turned on and off. Learn what it sounds like. Then when engine dies, flip key on and off and listen for the click. No click, no fuel. Solenoid has to have 12 volts to work. It may be loosing voltage, or it may be getting hot and shutting off the fuel.

What is the fix for this replace solenoid pack it

If solenoid has voltage and is not operating, then solenoid needs to be replaced, or you can remove it, remove the inner tip, and reinstall it as a dummy. It is anti-backfire solenoid and keeps the engine from backfiring when engine is turned off.

I see question is still open, did you see my response?