Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have an Onan 7.5KV propane genset (about 25 yrs old) It

Hello. I have an Onan 7.5KV propane genset (about 25 yrs old) It runs like a sewing machine. Best engine I'v ever owned (I'm 72 yrs old)
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: Its about 30 yrs old. It just started to squeal or squeek intermittantly when I excersize it. It has plenty of crankcase oil. The intermittant squeal seems to be coming from the armature end of the genset. Is there any part that might need to be lubed that's not lubed by the crankcase oil??
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'd like to. I love this thing.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope. I just hate to ignore those kind of noises.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

The alternator bearings are sealed, and can not be lubed.

If a bearing goes bad, it needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Hank. Are you saying that this generator has a sealed bearing at the armature end of the crankshaft so that that end of the crank is NOT lubed by crankcase oil? I wouldn't have thought so since it's as old as it is.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that it? Is that the end of this service?

You said it sounded like it cam from the armature (alternator) end of the genset.

The alternator bearings are sealed.

But you are talking about the crankshaft main bearing? It is not at at the end of the genset. It is in the engine.

These bearings are pressure lubed by the oil pump. If they are not getting oil, there is a problem in the lubrication system.

But if this is just an intermittent noise, it is very doubtful that it is a lube issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. Thanks very much.

No problem.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.