Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Toro 22in Recycler mower has become very hard/heavy to…

Customer Question
My Toro 22in Recycler...

My Toro 22in Recycler mower has become very hard/heavy to push with self-propel engaged. Also almost impossible to pull backwards. Appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks, Steve ****

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Model 20332/20332c Toro TRecycler. Maybe forur or five years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only in my dreams!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

In self-propel, should both wheels move forward? Only right whelle does.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/13/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Both Wheels should move when self-propelled. If only one wheel is moving the gears are most likely the problem.
The gears being stuck will also cause it not to pull backwards.
Remove the wheels and see if the gears turn freely. On each gear you have a spring and a keyway that operates the drive system
One of these is possibly stuck and not moving in and out as it is supposed to