Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 15000 generac generator. How do I know if it's over

heating. I went outside and...
I have a 15000 generac generator. How do I know if it's over heating. I went outside and the exhaust pipe was red. Like it was really hot. The generator had been tuning for 2 hours.
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a generac 15000 watt ultra source.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not sure on the age
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes. If doable
9/13/2017
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

The only way to tell if the unit is actually overheating is to use a non-contact thermometer to measure engine temp at the temperature shut down switch.

Even if the exhaust is glowing, the engine itself may not be over heating.

But the exhaust should not be glowing.

That is a sign that the engine is running too lean.

What do you mean by lean? I did change the oil today and added to much oil. I put three Quarts in it. I ran it to test it and it began to smoke. I immediately shut it off. I then read that it only needed 1.7 to 2 quarts so I dumpy it and put in Bout 1.7 quarts of oil in it. I used SAE 10W30 as recommend on the cap of the generator for summer time.

Running lean has nothing to do with the oil.

Lean means that it is getting too much air, or too little fuel.

Over 99% of the time, this is due to a carburetor that has gotten varnished up.

Generators need to be exercised regularly, for several reasons - only one of them being to keep fresh gas in the carb so it doesn't varnish over.

Too many people don't run them like they should, and when they let them sit, the gas goes bad.

This plugs up the carburetor, and at first the engine doesn't run right, until it won't run at all.

Ok. I usually turn the gas supply off and let the generator power off on it own after it drains all the gas out of the line. So there isn't gas sitting in the line and gunking up the filter. How can I address that issue. We have just gone through hurricane Irma and I need this puppy to not fail me now. They're saying I won't have power for another 10 days
Are we done?

It is physically impossible to run all the gas out of a carburetor - it just can't be done.

It will run until the gas level is too low to sustain the engine, but there will always be gas in it.

The carb will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Ok. So it's running fine for now with the exception of the exhaust pipe prior to the muffler heating up. I'll try and find someone tomorrow to service it if at all possible.
Anything else you think it may be?

No, when an exhaust gets that hot, it is due to a lean running condition.

Should I run it now or no? And if so for how long at a time should I run it. I didn't notice the problem until I came out tonight to check up on it and could see that it was red. Glowing at night. I had been running prior to that as much as 6 hrs at a time.
I only decided to change the oil today because I had not done it in a while and I've been using it a lot lately and wanted to make sure it would be working properly.
Oh. One more thing. Sometimes when I shut it off it backfires. Is that too from running lean?

Running an engine lean is not good for them - it causes them to run hot.

But if your unit gets too hot, them temp switch will shut it down.

If it is only glowing enough for you to see it at night, it is not bad at all. When you can see it in the daytime, then it's REALLY bad.

In your case, I wouldn't hesitate to run it.

But I would shut it down every 6 - 8 hours and check the oil. Do not let it get low. The higher temps make the oil thinner, and it may start burning some oil.

But definitely get it repaired as soon as you can.

Also, since you have to run it, invest in a few cans of a quality fuel treatment, such as Sea Foam, or Lucas.

If you run it through, it may be enough to clean the carb for you.

I have sea foam. I can put that in now.
Thanks!

No problem.

Thank ou for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician