EricFromCT
EricFromCT,
34559540

I was riding mower then I shut off and won't start back up.

Customer Question

I was riding mower then I shut off and won't start back up
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes and yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well I guess I don't know if the shut of valve is open
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

What kind of mower do you have and what engine is in it?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Simplicity coronet 12hp
Briggs and straton

It is likely the ignition coil has failed. Do you have a spark tester to check for spark?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I do not

If you buy one they are fairly cheap and it goes inline with the spark plug to the wire and will light up if you have spark. Another way to check for spark is to remove the spark plug and leave it attached to the wire and rest the electrode up against something metal like the engine cylinder head. THen crank the engine over and you should be able to see the spark.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.