Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My lawn mower runs at over speed even with throttle in idle

Customer Question

My lawn mower runs at over speed even with throttle in idle position. Is the problem internal governor related or linkage to carb?
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Honda Harmony mower with 160 engine. Probably 10 to 15 years old. I am not the first owner.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I have tried to adjust linkage at the shaft where it comes out of the engine.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have basic skills but can use his mower as a learning project.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

If you hold the lever that comes from the engine shaft, does it have posh.pull if you work throttle by hand? If not push/pull, the inner governor parts are broken. And repair would be to disassemble engine to get at the governor parts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The engine is over speeding regardless of throttle cable position. Is that what you are asking?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

overspeed occurs either from the throttle in carburetor coming loose, or governor not controlling the speed. If governor has no control, push or pull when you hold throttle and rev engine by hand, governor is fault. Have you checked the throttle flap and throttle shaft in carb?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just pushed the governor lever ahead by hand and the engine slowed down. The lever stays back with throttle control in idle.
Should there be a spring on carb to return it to idle?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Governor should pull it back. Engine make and model? Briggs single cylinder?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Honda 160 on harmony II hrt 216 sda mower? The spring on the governor rod doesn't seem to do anything.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, because the inner governor in engine is broken.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I'll pull it apart and see if I can learn anything. Not much to lose.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

What is the engine model? Has to be something before the 160.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

GCV160, see link , # 9 is the governor and rod.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 29 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you see my response?