Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I am writing this for a friend that has an Onan Generator

Customer Question

I am writing this for a friend that has an Onan Generator mounted on his Motorhome, and the problem is that the generator runs normally for a period of time ranging from one minute up to 45 minutes then all at once it will shut off, sometimes will re-start sometimes will not until a 5 to 16 minute wait. It is not lack of fuel, the pump primes and runs, the switch sometimes blinks before shutting off, any idea on what it can be?
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The unit is located in the Rio Grande Valley, and was taken to an Onan tech in Pharr Tx. and he indicated that there was nothing wrong, but the problem persists
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I do not work on generators, my line is upper end Foreign car repair, but if it is something simple, I guess we could doit
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This is a 4KV unit mounted on the side of the motor home
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The unit model is 4KYFA26100K
sERIAL # i050835889
kva 4
Spec K
PH-1
RPM 3600
Options R086-2-A223-2-C162-2
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Lets see what fault code is set.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will startflashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediatelyrelease 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for(X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the lightvery carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all inorder, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (singledigit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pausebetween digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

.