Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Cub Cadet Model LT1018 has blinking symbol on the hours

Customer Question
Cub Cadet Model LT1018...

Cub Cadet Model LT1018 has blinking symbol on the hours meter that looks like an hour glass. Mower is a 2004 model

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Cub Cadet 2004 model LT1018 Hydrostatic lawn tractor

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Just want to know why there is a blinking symbol that looks like an hour glass on the hours meter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When pto is engaged and runs for about 15 minutes pushes gas out the fuel pump and shuts engine down and smokes thru exhaust system.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/12/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 11 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

How many hours are on the meter? This will make a difference as to the answer that you will be given about the hourglass symbol flashing or blinking.

As for the fuel being pushed out of the fuel pump and shutting the engine down with smoke coming from the exhaust. This is most likely caused from fuel being in the crankcase which has mixed with the oil and causing an internal pressure build up inside the engine which will then force the fuel/oil mixture out of the crankcase and two of the places it will go first is through the engine crankcase vent system or the fuel pump.

Mower has a 109 hours. It is not gas coming from the fuel pump but oil. Looks like it is coming from the screened vent.
No do not call me. The oil does not smell like gas is mixed. Just want to know what is causing the problem.
Can I get an answer on the blinking hour glass issue on the hour meter? Mower has 109 hours.

Yep, the only reason that it would come from there is if there(the fuel pump vent area) is an internal pressure problem that is forcing the fuel/oil back up through the pulse line that runs from the crankcase up to the fuel pump that actually makes the fuel pump operate. The only other reason you might have this happen is if the head gasket is partially blown between the cylinder and the oil drain back passage from the valves.

As for the hourglass blinking on the meter, this is a built in function of the meter that lets you know that the key is on and the hour meter is counting down the time.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

First time to use program not impressed

Sorry that you are not impressed.

Please remember to rate your experience using the star rating system.