Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My 2016 troy built 54" super bronco garden tractor will not

Customer Question

my 2016 troy built 54" super bronco garden tractor will not start. Worked fin up until this weekend. Replaced the battery and looked at the wiring as well as i could. It's making a high pitched "humming" noise near the back of the battery compartment. I did get it to start once with a jump, but nothing since. I've cycled the PTO, cleaned the connections, listened for the seat switch to click. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes on both accounts. I have not replaced the fuel filter though.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: as much as possible, with some technical advise.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's about it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

From what you are describing it sounds like the battery is too low to crank the engine. Can you manually turn the engine over by hand?

The high pitched humming noise is most likely coming from the starter solenoid which is normal when the battery is low. I would have the battery load tested to see what kind of voltage it holds under a load. Even with a new battery it is possible to get a bad one or one that is weak and not fully charged.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for the delay. I charged the new battery prior to putting on the tractor (15 hr. trickle charge) and I purchased the higher 300 CCA one. After placing it in the tractor, I could not even get it started with a jump from my truck. As far as manually turning the engine over, how would that be done?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

You can turn the engine manually by gripping the flywheel screen on top of the engine and turn it. You could also turn the engine manually by using a wrench on the bottom PTO of the engine and turn as if you were trying to tighten the bolt that holds the pulley on.