Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 46" cut rider. I stopped to fill gas and when I…

Customer Question
I have a 46"...

I have a 46" cut rider. I stopped to fill gas and when I went to stat it, it turned over one time. It will not turn over a second time or more times, even though the battery is strong and it tries to turn it over. I changed the gas and cleaned the gas filter. What do you think? Ray Brown

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Yesterday only. It has been a great machine until yesterday.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I live 25 miles from Bemidji .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I cleaned the air filter, put on new blades and then this.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/12/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 11 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you manually turn the engine over by hand? Take the air filter off and look into the throat of the carburetor, Do you see any fuel puddled there?

I can turn the motor by hand - however, after one turn it is a very hard turn. I see no gas puddled in the carburetor.

What engine does this machine have on it? Is the engine overhead valve?

My thoughts are that you have a valve clearance problem. The valves may have been fine with prior run, however during running the valve adjustments may have opened up and now when you try to start the engine it just comes up on compression and won't turn past there.

The first thing that I would check is the valve clearances on all valves, if this is an overhead valve engine you should set all valves to .004 inches clearance and retry starting the engine, see if that doesn't take care of the problem for you.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.