JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

While running the generator changes sound as if being loaded

Customer Question

While running the generator changes sound as if being loaded down but it isn't ,in short it surges slightly every so often can you give me any insights on what could be the issue.
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Model 04389-3.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: age is about 10 yrs
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just keep asking me questions.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Lack of fuel supply is the normal issue. If it is just running and not under a load, it will do this from time to time as the governor takes a brief break. It is nothing to be alarmed over.

Many generators and pressure washer engines will do this as they tend to sit idle without load applied more

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Jon, To test this theory of not enough load I would think that I should add load, do you agree.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

y​ou can yes. all these engines will surge momentarily though after being ran a while/ I am speaking in terms of a few seconds of surge. if it is doing it for a minute or so, then there is an issue. How long is your machine surging down?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just a few seconds during run time.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

it should be fine. It will do this under load at times also, but not nearly as much. I would not be too concerned unless it does it and it lasts longer than 30-60 seconds

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.