Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I own a new Vox 30557 Industrial VXG6500 - 6500 Watt

Customer Question
I own a new...

I own a new Vox 30557 Industrial VXG6500 - 6500 Watt Portable Generator first time using it I plugged into the 220 socket, and the main breaker kicked out, I tried it a few time more with the same result

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Briggs and Stratton Vox 30557 Industrial VXG6500 - 6500 Watt Portable Generator, less than 1 year old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on how serious the issues is, I think it would be covered under the warranty

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I was attempting to back feed my house, I had all of the breakers in the house off including the mains

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
NEVER backfeed your house. It is both illegal and highly dangerous.
Either use cords of the proper size and plug your loads in to the genset, or have a transfer switch installed.
Your breaker is tripping because you are trying to power too manu things in the house. This unit is not nearly large enough to run your whole house.
I never had any breakers on so no power was being used. I do have a tranfer switch on my main breaker.
The cord you are using is not wires properly, then. You are feeding a hot directly to ground.