Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

We have an Onan 8.0 mdkdir/ib generator on a 30 year old…

Customer Question
We have an Onan...

We have an Onan 8.0 mdkdir/ib generator on a 30 year old boat. It was running fine but then it just quit. We are wondering if it might be the fuel filter. What kind of fuel filter does it use?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

We know it was installed in 1988 when the boat was built. The model number is ***** 8.0 mdkdir/in according to the original documentation. I also have the serial number if you need.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If we can.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We just need to know what kind of fuel filter to look for

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/12/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

should be a spin on fuel filter, like this one in the link below.

Are there any compatible fuel filters that I might be able to buy locally?

Have your auto supply cross reference it. see fram above

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Sir, my name is ***** ***** I need to step in here.

You were given an incorrect part number for your fuel filter.

The(###) ###-####is a filter for the MDKAD, not your MDKD.

The correct part number for your unit is(###) ###-####05.