Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Starts up fine & idles well but the moment it starts cutting…

Customer Question
Starts up fine &...

Starts up fine & idles well but the moment it starts cutting the grass it coughs splutters & stalls

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes to all

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If i can yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No that is it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/12/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Sounds like it is not getting the fuel that it needs at high speed or under load.
This can be caused by debris in the carburetor, partially collapsing fuel line, dirty fuel filter, or possibly misadjusted valves.