Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

A21A42 lawn tractor with 21hp briggs &Stratton engine

Customer Question
A21A42 lawn tractor with...

A21A42 lawn tractor with 21hp briggs &Stratton engine number(###) ###-####G1. I have replaced the battery and the starter and checked the selenoid. When I try to start it doesn't have enough power to rotate the engine. But, if I remove the spark plug, thus eliminating compression, it turns over freely but of course wont start without the sparkplug. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes and there is air in the tires

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Did you read what I already sent?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/12/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

The engine has a compression release as part of the camshaft gear. If it breaks, the compression is too high for crank. Run compression test and if over 100 psi, the compression release is broken,, and repair is to replace the camshaft.