Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a generac XG 8000E with 1.7 hours on it. It is about…

Customer Question
I have a generac...

I have a generac XG 8000E with 1.7 hours on it. It is about three years old and as you can see, I don't have a great need for it. I tried to start it and it would not. there is a new battery in it and all new gas. it wont even turn over with a spark. ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Valve open and fuel is clean, and new as of two days ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to if possible.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have the gas tank off at this point, looking for any "line problems"

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/12/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

If the unit will not turn over, check to see if you have the proper battery cable on the proper post of the battery.

Does it make any noise at all when you press the start switch?

it turns over without a problem. it just won't start. i am going to try carb cleaner (although i run it dry when shutting it down). also, i was planning to use a starter solution to see if that might get it going.
i have no time now to monkey with it. the process took longer last night than i thought it might. it said 8 minutes and that turned into hours.
Sorry, but we have been extremely busy. There are thousands of people down there having generator problems. We can only do so much so fast.
it's not you. But when the site says 8 minutes and it turns into hours, my time needs to be spent in a more productive way. I think I'll try the things listed above and if that doesn't work, I'll revisit you guys. Thanks

You need to contact Customer Service about the 8-minute thing. If no one says anything about it, they don't know there is a problem.

Since the unit is cranking, you need to check and see if you are getting spark.

To check for spark, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.
Remove the spark plug from the cylinder.
Attach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.
Using insulated tools so you do not get shocked, hold the base of the plug to the bare metal of the engine.
Crank the engine and observe the plug for spark. There should be a bright blue spark jumping the gap of the spark plug.
Check both cylinders.
Is there spark present?
.

If not, the carb cleaner will do no good.

If you do have spark, then try the carb cleaner.

Let me know what happens.

I will be at my part time day job tomorrow, and have a bit more flexibility than I do at my full time day job.