Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Honda EM 6500 SX and it was running fine very

Customer Question
I have a Honda...

I have a Honda EM 6500 SX and it was running fine very well-maintained the 120 V outlets is only reading 40 and the 240 is only reading 120

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It's not loyal we didn't shut off continuously running after hurricane Irma though it appears that everything is only running on one leg voltage wise

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Oil level fine, not smoking, no pre-issue problems ever

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/12/2017
Technician: timoto, Technician replied 11 months ago
timoto
timoto, Technician

The most likely problem is dirty contact surfaces on the brushes. Try removing the end cover on the generator. Locate the brush holder just above the bolt in the center of the rotor. Unplug the two wires to the brushes. Remove the screws on the brush holder and remove it from the generator. The brushes are spring loaded. Inspect for damage or excessive wear on the brushes. Use a piece of scotch brite to clean the contact surfaces of the brushes then spray with contact cleaner. Remove the sparkplug. Hold a piece of scotch brite against the brush contact surfaces of the slip rings of the rotor while rotating the rotor with a wrench on the end bolt. These surfaces need to be shiney bright copper. When clean spray with contact cleaner. reassemble and check output.

Please leave a positive rating so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating, you can return at any time and post a reply if you find you need more help with this problem.

Any news regarding this problem?