Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

We had major damage in Hurricane Irma last night/this

Customer Question

We had major damage in Hurricane Irma last night/this morning - can't get generator to work properly. It's a Guardian (made by generac) 17,500 watt portable generator. Won't produce 240 volts. Husband is Auto Tech teacher/mechanic but this has him stumped
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Guardian by General model #
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: item #0045830 purchased 2005? Only used for emergencies
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Model 004583-0
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

I noticed no one else has helped you, so I am going to do my best.
I’m really sorry you had to wait so long for a reply. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I work 2 day jobs, and normally help on Just Answer in the evenings. I was at work all day.
Although I can’t be online 24/7, I am on almost every single day -often only getting 3 or 4 hours sleep, due to me spending so much time trying to help others.

If at any point, you feel you can’t work around this schedule, please just let me know, instead of leaving me negative feedback, and I will opt out. But I do have to consider my full time job.

I have uploaded a test I need you to do.

Please do test #4, and let me know all the results.

When giving the results, please give me wire numbers, not step numbers.

IE - wire 2 to 6 gave 35VAC, not step 5 gave 35VAC. This makes it easier and quicker for me to compare and reference results.

Click here to download the test.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Have you done these tests yet?