EricFromCT
EricFromCT,
34559540

Engine starts on first pull but runs rough -- coughs and

Customer Question

Engine starts on first pull but runs rough -- coughs and chokes with some white smoke for few minutes and then dies -- like it's not getting enough gas. New fluids seem OK. What to do?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes -- clean fuel in tank --what and where is shut off valve?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yep
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Engine was just gone over by mechanic about 4 months ago and has sat since then -- ran fine when he tested it in front of me then
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Sitting for 4 months it is likely that the gas in the carb may have gummed up the jets already. If it seems like starving for fuel you should remove the carb bowl and clean the jet out again.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.