Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I HAVE AN OLDER LAWN TRACTOR. #1692772, MOD #50802. WHEN I

Customer Question

I HAVE AN OLDER LAWN TRACTOR. #1692772, MOD #50802. WHEN I SHIFT INTO FORWARD THE TRACTOR GOES IN REVERSE AND WHEN SHIFTED IN REVERSE IT GOES FORWARD. I HAVE TAKEN IT TO TWO DEALERS AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHY. CAN YOU HELP.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I JUST BOUGHT IT AT A GARAGE SALE.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: IF IT IS NOT TOO DIFICULT
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Does it look like the transmission has been out of the mower?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Either the transmission has been apart and the inner differential gear is on wrong side of pinion, or the shiftier is moving the shift lever on the trans mission in the wring direction. With the multiple shift rods, it may be moving lever in opposite direction, See the link below and check the linkage.