Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 120 volt 30 amp generator on a 1986 rv. It has low…

Customer Question
I have a 120...

I have a 120 volt 30 amp generator on a 1986 rv. It has low hours on it,But it is putting out 140 volt. I don't know what the problem is. can the voltage be adjusted?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a onan model number 4.0bge-r/261000 I believe

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends on the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is in a 1986 motor home with very low hours.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/12/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

When having a voltage issue, you ALWAYS check/set frequency first. Trying to adjsut for voltage can do damage to both the genset, and whatever is plugged in to it.

Connect a meter to the output leads of the genset, and start it up.

What frequency reading are you getting?

Did you get the frequency reading yet?