Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Deere zero turn mower. I just replaced the battery

Customer Question

I have a John Deere zero turn mower. I just replaced the battery in it. Started cutting grass yesterday and, after cutting for about 20 minutes, it just completely shut down. Would not turn over. I could just it off, but it just kept doing the same thing over and over. Something draining the battery, HELP!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Thank you!
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No mam. That's about it!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

What happened to the first battery? Do you have a voltmeter to check battery voltage now? Is the charging system working?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Old battery died. Over 5 yrs old. Something is draining the battery as I mow. I have cut the yard several times on new battery. This problem started yesterday out of the blue.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

New battery can be bad! But need to be sure the charging system is working. Check battery voltage before start, then after engine is running, voltage has to increase as least one volt, you can test with jumper if you need to, just do not have donor running.