Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Deere zero turn mower. I just replaced the battery…

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere zero turn mower. I just replaced the battery in it. Started cutting grass yesterday and, after cutting for about 20 minutes, it just completely shut down. Would not turn over. I could just it off, but it just kept doing the same thing over and over. Something draining the battery, HELP!

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

No mam. That's about it!

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/11/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What happened to the first battery? Do you have a voltmeter to check battery voltage now? Is the charging system working?

Old battery died. Over 5 yrs old. Something is draining the battery as I mow. I have cut the yard several times on new battery. This problem started yesterday out of the blue.

New battery can be bad! But need to be sure the charging system is working. Check battery voltage before start, then after engine is running, voltage has to increase as least one volt, you can test with jumper if you need to, just do not have donor running.