JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Deere 652r with the Kohler engine and I replaced

Customer Question

i have a John Deere 652r with the Kohler engine and I replaced the battery and what it does is it starts and runs for about 10 seconds before turning off and it won't start again until I disconnect the battery and does the same runs for 10 seconds. It was working fine before I changed the battery so I'm thinking it's something with the electrical what do you think?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes tank is full and valve is open
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I did try to jump start the mower before replacing the battery
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

So you replaced the battery because the old one was bad or would not start the machine based on the fact that you had tried to jump start before replacing the battery.

This engine has an ECU on it that controls operation of the engine and it is advised by everyone in the industry to never try to jump start ECU equipped engines. Even if you are going to just charge the battery it is recommended to unhook the battery prior to charging otherwise you risk damage to the ECU. If you have someone near you that has the computer diagnostic software they can check the system for you to make certain that the ECU is the problem prior to just replacing it however that is the only way to test or check it. My thought is that you have damaged the ECU from jump starting the unit especially since it was working okay prior to that.

ECU part number:

John Deere MIU13293 $189.44 in my area

Kohler 24 584 127-S $139.06 in my area

Same part it's just that John Deere buys it from Kohler puts it in their own box and raises the price.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.