Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Briggs and Stratton whole house generator. The

Customer Question

I have a Briggs and Stratton whole house generator. The engine came on but it is getting hot and the fault says it is high oil temp. We waited till it cooled and checked the oil. It is full no clean. We have a full tank of propane.
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Briggs and Stratton 18000kw. It is 10 years old. It did it's service run on Sunday and it was ok.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it is something easy, otherwise we need a technician
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: we are located in Florida and we have no power after the hurricane
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

I noticed no one else has helped you, so I am going to do my best.
I’m really sorry you had to wait so long for a reply. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I work 2 day jobs, and normally help on Just Answer in the evenings. I was at work all day.
Although I can’t be online 24/7, I am on almost every single day -often only getting 3 or 4 hours sleep, due to me spending so much time trying to help others.

If at any point, you feel you can’t work around this schedule, please just let me know, instead of leaving me negative feedback, and I will opt out. But I do have to consider my full time job.

Check the air inlet area, to include the engine fan, to make sure the unit has not sucked up a bunch of debris that is blocking the intake air flow.

This is an air cooled unit, and if it can't breathe, it will over heat very quickly.