Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Cub Cadet mdle. XT1-LX 50 13AQ1CQ596 SER. 1146h40262, has…

Customer Question
My Cub Cadet mdle...

My Cub Cadet mdle. XT1-LX 50 13AQ1CQ596 SER. 1146h40262, has a constant squeak in the steering system which I can not find where it originates,. I think if it squeajs it will wear.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Have had the steering cap of and lubricated the colum , not help , have you ant ideas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

YES.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

NEIGHBOR ACROOS THE ROAD HAS THE SAME PROBLEM, WE LIVE IN THE COUNTRY, 1 ACRE LOT.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/11/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Have you greased all the fittings?
Normally squeaking can be resolved by adding great at the fitting locations on the machine
What kind od answer is this , you should know that there are no grease fittings on the steering column or anywhere right to the gear and segment.
Not on the column in the steering spindles
What is complete model and serial number of this machine from sticker
13AQA1CQ596
1A146H40262
D.O.M. 0/29/16
The squeak is in the steering column, not in the steering linkage/spindles
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Have you sprayed WD40 at the top bearing area and the bottom bearing, next to sector gear, to see if the squeak goes away? If it does, get some silicon spray and use it on a regular bases. ?

I have tried everything, I am not a country bumpkin, am very handy an do all or most mechanical repairs, other than any warranty work require, you are not helpful at all for a so called technician, you are talking to me as if I were a beginner.
You guys are hopeless, I have sprayed with silicon and the squeak is still there, neighbor has the same problem and has tried all kinds of sprays and the squeak is still there, I f you cannot help , just cancel and refund my money.

I cant hear the squeak, so I have to go by what you say. If the noise is in the column, the oil should quieten it don for a shirt time. If not, tells me, that is not the squeak source.

The squeak is definitely in the steering column, both myself and my neighbor have this problem in both machines .. both of us have tried various lubes with no success.
Using a stethoscope, to locate the source, we have definitely determined that it originates from the lower part of the steering column and nowhere else.
As i said if you cannot come up with a positive answer kindly refund my money, this is the second time I have asked a question here without a positive result, I found the first problem myself and corrected it [starting problem ] and you are supposed to be the experts,, just kindly refund my money and we'll call it quits.

If noise is at the bottom of the column, you can't get oil or grease to it. You would have to take out the upper bearing or remove the shaft from the outer cover to have any chance to lube it. I will send to moderator for refund.

Technician: ,  replied 11 months ago
Phone call session started