Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Just survived Irma. My honda em7000si ran great but stopped

Just survived Irma. My honda em7000si ran great but stopped will not start. Gas flows cranks and code 154 on monitor. Hoping something straightforward and not that $$$ module
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. Experienced but cannot find code as starting place
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Cranks gas flows - pulled line. Usual kicks right in feels like electrical but figured code might give starting point if control module error will not waste time right now. Working off spare

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

I noticed no one else had helped you, so I'm sorry for the delay.

I work day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings. I was at work all day.

There is no code 154 - I'm guessing that the 154 is the total run time you have on the genset.

If the engine is not starting, the first thing you need to do is to check and see if you have spark to the plug.

To check for spark, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.
Remove the spark plug from the cylinder.
Attach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.
Using insulated tools so you do not get shocked, hold the base of the plug to the bare metal of the engine.
Crank the engine and observe the plug for spark. There should be a bright blue spark jumping the gap of the spark plug.
Check both cylinders.
Is there spark present?
.

If not, we need to troubleshoot the ignition system.

If you do have spark, pour about a teaspoon of gas directly into the cylinder, and put the plug back in.

Try to start the set again.

Will it start for a couple seconds like that?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Worked on it and problem seems carb. It has dual electrically controlled butterfly choke? Throttle. Have gas flow but will only run shoot carb cleaner into air inlet and only few seconds. Not sure if carb alone or control module (expensive ). Honda em7000is.

ON the i-Monitor, press and hold the button for 3 seconds to get into the error log.

Once you are in the error log, if you press the button again, it will show the next code. It can store up to 5 codes.

Are you getting any codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1 am here. Have spare. Will check codes AM. Thanks

1:21 AM here, and have to get up at 5:30 to go to work.

I work til 7 tomorrow, so take your time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for delay pretty rough here but better. Honda codes are E-04, 12, 13 , 20, 22
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dark here and 3;30 AM. What time zone r u and know u work. Maybe late in day or this weekend can try on phone. We are miami. I know my way around tools etc.

If you are getting all those codes, your inverter is bad. All of them relate to the inverter

Was this what you wanted to know?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks

Ok

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance, so I get credit for my time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do Shame as rest if unit cherry but 12 years old and I added one replacement module - 5 years ago. They run $900 plus. Gonna buy some powerhouse 3500's on sale 999 North Star right now 2 can parallel. Not 240 but have those. Maybe find a buyer for parts Honda. Do you know any techs miami Fort Lauderdale area. Have diesel with small yanmar. Won't start. Has compression fuel. Maybe injector. Need to get rebuilt fixed. Worth it. Just asking. If you come across someone with EM module or needs unit. Let me know. Otherwise thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where do I rate do u get paid?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Found it at top

Yes, the inverters are expensive - and they are the component most likely to fail. This is why I try to steer people away from inverter units, unless they have an absolute need for them.

A word of advice - stay away from Power House. They are total junk.

We used to be a dealer for them, and at least 80% of all units we sold came back for warranty work.

With generators, you definitely get what you pay for - stick with a brand name unit.