Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Second opinion] we are in Delray Beach fl. APS generac

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hi we are in Delray Beach fl. APS generac approved installed huge full house generator. Our power is completely out for 1 hour yet the Generator built in on a natural gas line is RUNNING, BUT NO ELECTRICITY IN HOUSE ANYWHERE ???? B what can I do if anything ????? Please help ?JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?Customer: Yes it was installed in 2009 it is HUGE I THINK IT IS ALSO AIR COOLED. GENERAC I do not remember model # IT COST 26,000 in 2009JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: If possible , I just need to know where to start what to doJA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: It's been running since power went out, but not generating electricity
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

You closed out your original question while I was trying to reply to you. That's ok.

But now it is my turn to explain.

As I said, I am actually a certified Generac technician, but if you read your original post, you clearly stated that you "THINK IT IS ALSO AIR COOLED" - that is what I was going by.

You also stated that you "finally called GENERAC Cust service they informed me if you are a certified technician , you would have figured this out ESPECIALLY AFTER I sent you the model & serial #". If you will go back up and see the time frame, I did figure this out BEFORE you told me you had called Generac.

I can't help it if you gave the wrong information from the start.

You also stated that "MY SISTER WAS TOLD BY THE GENERAC CORP TO OPEN THE HIGH VOLTAGE BOX AS ABVERY LADT TROUBLE SHOOT, & PUT THE LTS SWITCH IN THE ON POSITION USING A SCREW DRIVER IF THE SWITCH PAINTED YRLLOW ON THE TIP IS IN THE DOWN POSITION". Again, if you go back up to the beginning of all this, in my very first reply to you, I specifically asked if you had checked the transfer switch, and tried a manual transfer. Your reply was to ask if you should check the inside breakers first. You never did say if the transfer switch had been checked.

You also stated that the breakers were all on, but then just 4 minutes later, you said that they were all tripped. They can't be on if they are tripped.

It was 9:40 PM when I informed you that I realized you had a liquid cooled unit, and was not certified on liquid cooled. I also said that if you wanted me to opt out, I would. ALL YOU DID WAS SCREAM AND COMPLAIN.

If you had given the correct information from the beginning, and not been giving conflicting information, this would have been much faster.

As far as using this website instead of calling Generac, that was your decision - nobody put a gun to your head.

And not that you care, but I have helped dozens of people get power this weekend - apparently no local service techs wanted to go out in a hurricane.