Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have a Kohler SH 265 which has fuel in the crank case oil.

Customer Question

Good evening,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Have a Kohler SH 265 which has fuel in the crank case oil. Just did the rebuilt carb and fuel line replacement. Read about valve cover gasget as a possible cause. Thoughts?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Since last Fall but just started working on it. Thought the carb was gummed up initially. Did not know about the gas in the crank case until checkcing the level and it was way over full
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: After the rebuild and finding the gas in the crank case I drained the crank case and installed fresh oil. Installed new fuel line and started over. Thought the fuel may have been in the crank case before the carb rebuild. The unit sat all summer and thought that the condition may have existed before carb work. After fresh oil and fuel, new fuel line and carb rebuild tried again. Ran for maybe ten seconds and then died. Same thing crank case was full of oil gas mixture.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Only one way for the gas to get into the crankcase on engine, unless it has a fuel pump mounted on the crankcase and run by camshaft. And that would be the needle valve in the carburetor leaking . this only happens when engine is not running. So best to use a gas shutoff valve and keep gas shutoff between uses. Needle valve is not made to be a posiitve fuel shutoff for long periods of time.