Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a guardian general 4726. Called for service before…

Customer Question
I have a guardian...

I have a guardian general 4726. Called for service before hurricane Irma, none available, generator started up but red fault light lit up. Apparently reving to fast so I adjusted governor arm length and slowed it down and ran fine for 2 hours keeping house powered up. It shut itself down, restarted for 30 minutes, shut down, several restarts for 10 seconds to a couple minutes but won't continue running. Keep checking red fault light but dosnt appear to be lighting up. It's an in ground propane tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes 70% filled 8 m8nths ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Would rather not but difficult to get tech right after hurricane

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
It's a generac not general, saw a line of ants on back of control panel.. but didn't see any when I opened control panel door, sprayed with light dusting of bug spray and used air can to blow out any debris, dust etc. Problem already existed prior to that, thought it would help..it didnt
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/10/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is Hank.

I see no one has responded to this yet, so I will try and help, if you wish.

I am not certified on this particular unit, but have worked on a couple of them.

If at any time you wish to not proceed with me, just let me know, and I will opt out.

But please don't leave me a negative rating because of it - I am being up front honest about my qualifications. I just want to be able to help as many people as I can in this difficult situation.

What is are the full model and serial number of this unit?

Sure let's give it a try, I understand no bad review do your best..im in middle of irma.. would like to have options to try tonight as wind calms down. Model(###) ###-####serial(###) ###-####

From what you have described so far, it is sounding like a fuel delivery issue - especially since the fault light is not coming on.

The first thing is to check and see if you have fuel getting to the genset. Just loosen the fuel line slightly, and listen and smell for LP. If you hear and/or smell it, we will assume it is getting enough fuel.

Next would be to connect a multimeter to the output of the genset, and measure both the voltage and frequency for the little bit that it will run. These readings will tell us where to start looking.

Hi hank, we don't have internet where I live since hurricane and i havent been able to contact you. I put a multimeter on generac. It's 242 volts an 62.5 hertz. I wasntbexactly sure where to disconect fuel line, although being able to review your response I'm assuming disconnect hose at carburetor. My sense is your correct on fuel issue. I suspect the primary regulator since the vent was in the dirt or very fine Sandy loam which is the soil here in Florida. The regulator says sherwood 740hp 10psig. Any suggestion for a replacement i can easily buy on Amazon? I know i should probably trouble shoot first..but most likely dond have the guages for that I think.. (although i dont really mind buying tools ��) tomorrow I will remove hose from carburetor and listen and smell for fuel.. just not sure how much to expect) open to suggestions. I was going to pay for the extra upgrade to speak to you and am happy to do so. I just didn't want you feeling you needed to call at 10pm. Cell reception is horrible after hurricane. But if you reach me ill be glad to upgrade. My number is **************.

Yes, if the vent is plugged, the regulator will not work properly.

I am not a contractor, and do not know what regulator will replace what.

In a pinch, can the regulator be removed and cleaned out or compressed air blown through the outlet side to blow anything out of the inlet until regulator replaced? No electric..im in a pinch

Do not try to blow air through it - you will blow out the diaphragm.

But if it is a separable housing, you can take it apart and clean it.