Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I need to get the info on my generator to ask, I think. I

Customer Question

I need to get the info on my generator to ask, I think. I will try without it. I bought a home that has a generator hooked up to a large propane tank. I am in s florida in the middle of hurricane Irma. When can I turn on the generator? For how long? The tank is about 5' tall
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Dyna portable generator
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I had it started up yesterday with the help of a friend and my electrician
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It is storming outside, so I don't know if I have to wait...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

If the genset is connected through the house via a transfer switch, you can run it any time. The transfer switch will keep the power from backfeeding into the grid.

The unit can bu run pretty much continuously, but I highly recommend shutting it down every 12 hours to check the oil, and keep the oil level topped off.

If your LP tank is a 100# ***** (vertical), it is not going to last very long at all, so use the genset sparingly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to manually turn it on and turn off the electric breaker outside
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

How is the genset connected to the house?

Is it plugged in to like a dryer outlet or something?