Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Gravely Zero Turn 23 HP Kawasaki started blowing smoke

Customer Question

My Gravely Zero Turn 23 HP Kawasaki started blowing white smoke out the exhaust and will only start using the choke fully engaged. Could it be a blown head gasket?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes fuel in tank, don't know about shut off valve, where would it be located having never
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

How long long has this problem existed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2 weeks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please just give me an answer
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

I am back with you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Have you checked your oil level on your dipstick? Does your oil smell like gas is mixed in with it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
does not smell like gas. level is fine also.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for checking for me.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

I would like for you to try something.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Remove the spark plug wire on the left side of your engine, then check to see if your engine will start with only one spark plug wire attached.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it will not start
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for checking. Re-attach the wire to your left side spark plug. Remove the spark plug wire on the right side, then try starting your engine again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no won't start
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

I would like to confirm something. Are you saying that your engine will not not start without both spark plug wires attached, regardless of the wire that is removed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it will start only if i play with the choke, then smokes from exhaust bad
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Do you have some plastic zip ties?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

There is another procedure you can try to help determine if one of your cylinders is not functional. It requires you to remove the spark plug wire from your spark plug while your engine is running.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

You can put a plastic zip tie on both of your spark plug wires, to aid in safely removing your spark plug wires during this procedure. Remember to loosen your spark plug wires prior to doing this procedure.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Start your engine and while your engine is running, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug on your Left Cylinder. If your engine continues to run, this means that your Right Cylinder is working. If your engine shuts off, this indicates a fault in your Right Cylinder.

If your engine continues to run, reattach your spark plug wire, and move to your Right Cylinder. Repeat the procedure above. If your engine continues to run, this means your Left Cylinder is working. If your engine shuts off, this indicates a fault in your Left Cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will have to check later since it is getting dark outside
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

No problem. Take your time. We can continue after you have had an opportunity to check this out. This will give you and me a good starting point for troubleshooting.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

There are a few things that could be causing our problem. A blown head gasket, dirty carburetor, low compression, etc.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

The test above will lead us in the right direction ...