Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Won't run. error msg "not sensing RPM" 6-7 years. this error…

Customer Question
Won't run. error msg...

Won't run. error msg "not sensing RPM"

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

6-7 years. this error present for two months

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just need to know how to get rid of the error msg

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/10/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What type of equipment is this/

Brand?

Model number?

Serial number?

generac.
5870(###) ###-####
also, this is a stand by generator

That's ok. I am certified an all Generac air-cooled units up to 60kW. It doesn't matter if is a portable or a stand by.

First. lets see if we can do a simple reset.

Turn the switch to OFF.

Pull the fuse out of the control panel, and wait 10 seconds.

Put the fuse back in.

Set the switch to MANUAL.

Will the unit run now?

Also, by doing this, you will need to reset the exercise timer, as removing the fuse will erase the memory.

the engine started, ran for about 5 sec, turned self off. error msg re: not sensing RPMs THANKS
It still does not work. What do you suggest?

Ok.

You need to connect an AC voltmeter to the back of the circuit breakers, and start the genset.

How much voltage is it producing for the few seconds it will run?

I do have a voltmeter. Lets skiip this on and go forward.
the generator will not restart.

I need to know the voltage output - that will tell us where we need to go next.

Can we do the volt test tomorrow?

You can do it when ever you are able. There is no time limit on this.

But be advised that I work 2 day jobs, and normally help on Just Answer in the evenings. Tomorrow I have my long job, and work 6:30 AM to 7 PM, and won't be able to respond until tomorrow evening.

Hank, I will try to get the information for you tomorrow, the 12th. Will have to borrow a voltage meter. Thanks, Mary

Not a problem at all.

The voltage was -0- when tested on the house side of the circuit breaker while cranking.

You need to test on the input (generator side) of the breaker.

This rules out a bad breaker, and everything past it.

How do I test on the generator side. We found only one place, and that was near the power On/Off.
where is the generator side. Thanks

There are 2 wires on each breaker. One is the input from the stator, the other is the output to the transfer switch.

You need to be testing the stator input side.

The generator started on manual, ran for about 30 sec and stopped with low voltage alarm. Tested the stator and showed No voltage.
What color is the wire off the stator? Two black ?

There are 8 wires that come off the stator.

The 2 large black ones that go to the circuit breakers are numbered 11 and 44. The 2 large white ones that go to the neutral bus are numbered 22 and 33.

The other 4 are small control wires that go to the engine to control connector.

It appears that we tested the stator and there was no voltage.

Ok.

I have uploaded as series of tests for you to do.

Please do all of the steps in Test 4 - Fixed Excitation/Rotor Amp Draw, and let me know all the results.

Click here to download the tests.

Have you done the tests yet?

I am sure that this problem, "not detecting RPM" has happened before and there is an solution that does not require forever testing. Thanks.

There are several things that can set the code. Testing is the only way to find out what is causing it.

There is no such thing as a magic cure.