Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a cub cadet x t1 will not engage the pto clutch. I…

Customer Question
I have a cub...

I have a cub cadet x t1 will not engage the pto clutch. I have voltage with test lite on one side of the pto plug at the clutch I know thw pto switch is good and the clutch is good as I jumped it direct to the battery, ign switch is good, battery read 12.59 turns the engine good. whats up....

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

He unit is 2015, and no has never gave a problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think ive said all I know.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/10/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 9 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Does the engine die when engaged or just not coming on?
the clutch IS NOT engaging, engine is doing fine
If you have power coming out of the pto switch and you can power the clutch directly, the issue is going to be in the wire harness.
ok whats your best guess next
You will need to test wires down to where there is no longer power on the wires and that will be the bad spot
give me your # and I will call you as I don't under stand your last contact
I have to leave town tues. and would like to have this fixed for my son to do the yard as it's about an acre. Thanks JON
where did you go jon
If you can power the clutch with a battery and it work, the issue is either the PTO switch or the wiring.
How do you know the switch is good?
What is the voltage on the clutch plug when engaged
I did a noise check with my fluke meter, by touching the2 contacts on the switch and comparing it to a new switch
to go down to my shop about 50 yards away, that's why I would like to call you
i have done the ovious like the new switch, new clutch, voltage on one wire of the plug to the clutch, voltage at the battery with a good charge, now i need your tech, i don't know much more to do. Chasing the wiring is above me sorry
Chasing the wires is all to be don't now so you can find where in the harness the wires turn bad.
for get it JON i will take it to the dealer i thought tween the 2 of we could fix it. just cancel me. maybe we can do busness at a later date. have a good week.....
Technician: ,  replied 9 months ago
Phone call session started