Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a mountfield 1538sd ride on mower with Briggs

Customer Question

I have a mountfield 1538sd ride on mower with Briggs Stratton engine it has started to cut out softer 5mins from start. I use unleaded fuel additive and have cleaned filter engine turns and starts when engine cools
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes valve open drained fuel and replaced with clean plus fuel stabaser
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if its straightforward. There is no Briggs device near me
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think. This is a new development. Cutting quite long grass. Ground is dusty. Electrics seem fine so I'm guessing air or fuel
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

When it quits, you have spark at the plug? How long before it will restart?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

If no spark, you have a bad ignition coil. If you have spark, check the fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor, it has to stay open as long as the key is on, and has to have 12 volts to work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is a spark it takes about 10 mins to restart. This leads me to think the problem is fuel or air. I believe the engine gets to a heat then cuts.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would prefer to see you have more knowledge of this engine. What are the lickely causes of fuel\air starvation. Do you know where a manual for this engine can be found
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

This is the Briggs single cylinder,, OHV engine. Intex. Here is manual link.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Fuel starvation will be lack of fuel from the tank/and fuel pump, if it has a pump. May be gravity feed to carb. Or the carburetor is not letting fuel through the main jet. The solenoid in the carburetor plugs main jet when it is closed.