Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

MTD 20/46 lawn tractor I replaced hjead light harness which…

Customer Question
MTD 20/46 lawn tractor...

MTD 20/46 lawn tractor I replaced hjead light harness which made the head light's work again, then smelled like wire's were burning, shut it down checked for melted wire's I un pluged ignition switch plug PTO switch plug and hour meter plug inspected found nothing wrong and pluged them back in restarted tractor to find out that the head lights PTO and hour meter no longer working?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

MTD Yard Man 20/46 lawn tractor replaced head light wire harness head light's work again, after running for awhile smelled like wire's were burning shut it down opened hood looked at fuse and very wire found nothing wrong so I started umpluging ignition switch plug, hour meter plug and PTO switch plug still found nothing wrong pluged every thing back in and restarted tractor to find head light's PTO and hour meter not working checked every plug and still no head light's PTO or hour meter?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

What did I miss?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It has been down for over 3 week's

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just need it working again before winter so I can cut with out push mower.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/10/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 8 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Do you have a 12 volt test light or a multimeter?

Although your fuse appear to be ok, I would still check it with a meter.

I did and to be sure I put a new one in.
I know it is good because the tractor will not start if fuse is blown.
I have a 12 volt test light
Any idra?
IS THAT ALL I PAID $27.00 FOR INFO I HAVBE ALREADY DONE PREVIOUSLY.
IF NO MORE INFO I WOULD NEED THE MONEY BACK>.
NOT HAPPY!

I am back with you. I have been away from my computer. Sorry for the delay.

I will work with you until your mower is up and running again.

I would like to confirm something. Will your engine spin after you turn your key to start position? We can continue from here.

I looked over the wire's again and found the smaller wire connect to the negative side of the battery was melted the negative cable itself was fine so I replaced the smaller wire but still no PTO, head lite's or hour meter?

Thank for this follow up.

Can you get the model numbers for your mower? These numbers are under your seat.

the engine starts and run's fine.

If I can locate a wiring diagram, I will see if I can trace your wires for you. I need your model and serial numbers.

How long will you be available?
It will be a few hours before U can get the model number from the machine.

I will be here until 10:00 pm central time tonight.

I will return tomorrow at 4:30 pm central time.

Model 14AU5041H401 MTD Yard MAN
When will you possibly have more info for me?

I am back with you. Can you double check the numbers above? They are not working for me.

14AU804H401

Thanks! The numbers worked this time. I pulled up a diagram of your mower, but it did not include a wiring schematic. I will continue to check.

I am unable to locate a wiring schematic. If you like, I can opt out and give another experts an opportunity to assist you. One of them may have a wiring schematic.

Okay am I going to have to pay again?
Will you forward every thing we exchanged?
Or will I have to do it all over again?
Thank you for trying, I could not find any wiring diagram any where either that is the only reason I try'ed this route.
I'm working on a old Gilson with a hydro and a Briggs horizontal opposed twin engine I actually found a wiring diagram for it but still no luck getting it running yet.

There is only one charge for your question. After I opt out, the new expert will see everything that you and I have already covered. I do hope all goes well for you. Thank you again for allowing me to work with you. Have a great day!

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

I assume the mower starts, so the ignition fuse is good. I see no other fuses. Go back and unplug the new light harness, and check back, looking for a burned wire. The wire has likley burned the insulation off it and is in two . Can be anywhere under dash or behind engine, but there is no voltage to the affected items. May be at the pto switch, or light switch.

I already unplugged head light harness still no luck wuth PTO or hour meter.
That was the first thing I did after I smelled electrical burning.
The light switch is the ignition key switch, I checked the PTO switchg plug and wire's they all checked out perfect no signs off burning or burnt looking, like I said earlier the only burnt wire was the small wire connected to the negative side of the battery along with negative cable.
I have replaced it with no luck getting every thing else to work still.

You have a burned wire in the power side of the circuit. If yu can't see a hot spot, you may have to open the harness to find it.

I have the harness casing off of every thing that is how I checked for any burnt wire.

You didn't lose the ground wire?

Replaced battery ground cable positive ground to starter selonoid nount and little ground wire to battery negative to dash panel still no PTO, hour meter or head lights tractor still starts and run fine.

Do you have battery voltage to the pto switch? trace red wire back, to see where voltage is lost. Should be coming from keyswitch! Find power source for pto switch and the others will be same problem.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician