Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

My Generac guardian 12KW 04456-1 is disassembled to allow

Customer Question

my Generac guardian 12KW 04456-1 is disassembled to allow access to everything except the brushes behind a panel. the fan wheel is still on the shaft and I am having a very difficult time removing the fan wheel to ganie access to the brushes.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: first time
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I need to gain access the the brushes and have attempted to use a puller without success.The fan wheel and a partition wall are in my way.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Removing the fan can be quite a challenge. And I have found that they break as often as they don't.

The easiest way I have found to remove them, and it takes 2 people, is to use 2 long pry bars from behind the fan, 180 degrees apart, and press directly on the hub portion. It would help a lot if you had a puller on it, also, keeping tension on it all the time.

You can take turns tapping the prybars, first one side, and then the other.

But be aware that there is a good chance that the fan will break anyhow.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was using a puller from AutoZone and it twisted and I was afraid it was frozen on. If I put some good penetrating oil, would it help? Is the only thing holding the fan to the shaft friction?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
still waiting.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Sir, you need to be patient. I am working as fast as I can. I can only type so fast.

Plus, I have 2 dozen people on line from Florida, who have decided to wait until yesterday and today to try their gensets. They are all in a panic, and want an answer "right now". I can only do so much.

Friction and that clamp are all that hold the fan on, yes. But What happens is that rust builds up on the fan shaft, and causes the metal to swell. It also creates heat, which makes the plastic fan hub stick horribly.

As I said, I break as many fans as I don't.

One thing you can try, is use a deep well socket, or a piece of pipe, just big enough to fit over the shaft, and reach down to the fan hub. Smack it once or twice with a hammer (like you are trying to force it on further). It can break up some of the rust.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I feel like I've been scammed. Paid more money than this information was worth. waisted way to much time for your responds. Answer the question.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

I'll tell you what.

I will opt out, and you can just call in a local service tech.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I'm not a doctor so I don't have patience. LOL