Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

We have a Craftsman 5600 generator. It starts but doesn't

Customer Question

We have a Craftsman 5600 generator. It starts but doesn't continue more than a few seconds before stalling. Cleaned carburetor, cleaned spark plug, still doing the same thing
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. We are in Florida. In the direct path or Hurricane Irma so time is of the essence!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Your problem is still in the carburetor.

Sometimes, even when people think they are cleaning them, they are not doing it correctly, and sometimes a carb is just too far gone to be cleaned, and must be replaced.

Cleaning involves completely disassembling the carb, cleaning each individual piece, spraying/poking out every hole in the carb, spraying it again, and drying it.

If this does not work, then the carb must be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are special screws that attach the housing. We have an extensive socket set but don't seem to have anything that fits. Any suggestions? As I said earlier, we are in the path of the Hurricane, Irma, that is coming to Florida so time is a big deal!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Without being able to see the screws, I really can't say.

Are they star shaped? If so, those are Torx screws, and require Torx bits to remove.

I understand you are in a hurry, but this is why you can't wait to the last minute to check things out.