Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Pearl. I have a 2010 Polaris Ranger 800 EFI with a "check…

Customer Question
Hello, Pearl. I...

Hello, Pearl. I have a 2010 Polaris Ranger 800 EFI with a "check engine" light. It suddenly started sputtering and I don't know how to display the error code. Can you help me?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, I have fuel and I'm very sensitive to buying clean fuel. The engine runs but has a very rich gasoline smell.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I do most of my mechanic work myself but haven't worked on the Ranger yet. I have taken it to a certified mechanic in the past...since it was new in 2010.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 4 days by:
9/13/2017
Technician: 350matt,
 replied 11 months ago
350matt

Hello

you can read the code off yourself as follows:

Turn the key off for 30 seconds. Do the following within 5 seconds: Key ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON (don't start the engine). Keep your eye on the Check Engine Light (CEL).

The display will either say "Wait" and then the CEL will start blinking; or the CEL will start blinking right away. In either case, count the number of blinks between each long pause

for example

blink Pause blinkblink = 12

P bbbb P b = 41

P bbbbbb P b = 61

The codes are in two-digit numbers so the previous sequence would be 12, 41, 61. 12 = start and 61 = end. 12 may or may not happen.

This is a general list of codes. Different models and years may have slight variations.

---- 12 Beginning of Diagnostic Check ----
21 Loss of Synchronization
22 TPS Circuit: Open or Short to Ground
22 TPS Circuit: Short to Battery
23 RAM Error: Defective ECU
41 Air Temp Sensor: Open or Short Circuit to Sensor Voltage (ECU)
41 Air Temp Sensor: Short Circuit to Ground
42 Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Short to Ground
42 Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Open or Short to Battery
45 Barometric Pressure Sensor: Circuit Low Input
46 Barometric Pressure Sensor: Circuit High Input
51 Injector 1: Open Load
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to Ground
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to battery
52 Injector 2: Open Load
52 Injector 2: Short Circuit to Ground
52 Injector 2: Short Circuit to Battery Yes
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Open Load
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Short Circuit to Ground
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Short Circuit to Battery
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Open Load
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Short Circuit to Ground
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Short Circuit to Battery
56 Pump Relay Open Load
56 Pump Relay Short Circuit to Ground
56 Pump Relay Short Circuit to Battery
58 Cooling Fan: Open Load
58 Cooling Fan: Short Circuit to Ground
58 Cooling Fan: Short Circuit to Battery
---- 61 End of Diagnostic Check ----

codes can be cleared by fixing the issue and then disconnecting the battery earth for 30 seconds

Technician: 350matt,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you