Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

What causes the transmission fluid in a simplicity legacy xl…

Customer Question
What causes the transmission...

What causes the transmission fluid in a simplicity legacy xl to over heat and force fluid out the vent pipe

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

After using the mower for about 30 minutes it over heats to where you cannot touch the housing

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The mower only has 40 hours of use

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/9/2017
Technician: TECHPRO49, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, Small Engine Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your mower questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

in the case vent free and clear of any debris?

extra clean
I taught Agricultural Mechanics in High School and Community College

well your 10 hours shy if the fluid change, how bad is the fluid burnt?

I changed fluid, filter and vent plug. Only 30 minutes use on the new fluid before it overheated. Everything works fine until the fluid gets hot and begins to leak. The transmission housing is extremely hot to the touch.

sounds like you have a fluid flow restriction and a possible pump failure, you have done everything you can do externally, so next would be to tear it apart and see if there is any obvious failures

It makes me think that the fluid is not going through the cooler. What is the purpose of the solenoid valve located on the top rear of the transmission housing next to the air vent plug.
If there is a pump failure why does everything work properly until the fluid heats up

have you checked the flow in the return line?

no- which line is the return line (location of this line)
What is the purpose of the solenoid valve on the transmission housing located next to the vent plug and the place to put the fluid in

for some reason im not able to pull up that information ill have to open this back up to the other techs for extra assistance

okay let me know as soon as you have the answer. I wonder if that solenoid valve has any control over sending the oil through the cooler.
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Let me see if I have this straight. How do you know it is over heating? Touching with hand is not a reliable reading, as anything over 160 degrees is hot to the touch, do you have a warning light or gage , that comes on? Does performance change? You say oil comes out the vent? Oil level not over full? Does it continue to leak, or will it stop?

The oil is extremely hot, had turned brown color with a burnt smell. The power steering quit working and the lawn tractor would barely pull. I changed the automatic transmission fluid (type F), changed the oil filter and the vent plug. I put the correct amount of fluid in the transmission, ran the lawn tractor for about 30 minutes mowing, stopped and checked transmission. It was extremely hot and dripping oil out through the vent. When I parked the mower the leak stopped.

Oil gets hot from worn parts, or a restriction in the system. Was this a gradual change, or all at once?

I bought the mower used with only 30 hours. I have used the tractor for short periods of time over the past year. The mower now has 40 hours. I have only attempted to use the mower two times for a period of time in excess of 30 minutes,, Both times it heated and leaked fluid. There are no leaks at all when the mower is sitting parked. The hydraulics works fine for short time use. What is the purpose of the solenoid valve on the top of the transmission located between the refill tube and the vent?

Solenoid looks to be the solenoid for hydraulic cylinder ,by the parts book. When running unit, could any of the hydraulic functions be partially engaged. loading the hydraulics and making heat?

This tractor has front end hydraulic hook ups for additional equipment. Never used the front end hook ups. What could be engaged? I have no manuals with this mower and know very little about it.

Feel the hoses and see if they heat up. The hydraulic valve may be partially open and is dead heading on the hoses.

Where is the hydraulic valve located

Follow the hoses front the front hookup, back to the control valve. What is the exact model for the tractor? Usually 7 digits. Simplicity manual may be available for it.

Simplicity Legacy XL
27 HP
MFG (###) ###-####Serial 00314
Package (###) ###-####
I will try this and let you know if this works. Please let me know if the manual is available. Thanks

Here is site to download.