Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

What causes the transmission fluid in a simplicity legacy xl

Customer Question

what causes the transmission fluid in a simplicity legacy xl to over heat and force fluid out the vent pipe
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: after using the mower for about 30 minutes it over heats to where you cannot touch the housing
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the mower only has 40 hours of use
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your mower questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

in the case vent free and clear of any debris?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
extra clean
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I taught Agricultural Mechanics in High School and Community College
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

well your 10 hours shy if the fluid change, how bad is the fluid burnt?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I changed fluid, filter and vent plug. Only 30 minutes use on the new fluid before it overheated. Everything works fine until the fluid gets hot and begins to leak. The transmission housing is extremely hot to the touch.
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

sounds like you have a fluid flow restriction and a possible pump failure, you have done everything you can do externally, so next would be to tear it apart and see if there is any obvious failures

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It makes me think that the fluid is not going through the cooler. What is the purpose of the solenoid valve located on the top rear of the transmission housing next to the air vent plug.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If there is a pump failure why does everything work properly until the fluid heats up
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

have you checked the flow in the return line?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no- which line is the return line (location of this line)
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

its not showing me the return or supply but you will figure that out pretty easy, I do have a picture of the cooler location though it would be C in the picture

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the purpose of the solenoid valve on the transmission housing located next to the vent plug and the place to put the fluid in
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

for some reason im not able to pull up that information ill have to open this back up to the other techs for extra assistance

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay let me know as soon as you have the answer. I wonder if that solenoid valve has any control over sending the oil through the cooler.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Let me see if I have this straight. How do you know it is over heating? Touching with hand is not a reliable reading, as anything over 160 degrees is hot to the touch, do you have a warning light or gage , that comes on? Does performance change? You say oil comes out the vent? Oil level not over full? Does it continue to leak, or will it stop?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The oil is extremely hot, had turned brown color with a burnt smell. The power steering quit working and the lawn tractor would barely pull. I changed the automatic transmission fluid (type F), changed the oil filter and the vent plug. I put the correct amount of fluid in the transmission, ran the lawn tractor for about 30 minutes mowing, stopped and checked transmission. It was extremely hot and dripping oil out through the vent. When I parked the mower the leak stopped.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Oil gets hot from worn parts, or a restriction in the system. Was this a gradual change, or all at once?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought the mower used with only 30 hours. I have used the tractor for short periods of time over the past year. The mower now has 40 hours. I have only attempted to use the mower two times for a period of time in excess of 30 minutes,, Both times it heated and leaked fluid. There are no leaks at all when the mower is sitting parked. The hydraulics works fine for short time use. What is the purpose of the solenoid valve on the top of the transmission located between the refill tube and the vent?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Solenoid looks to be the solenoid for hydraulic cylinder ,by the parts book. When running unit, could any of the hydraulic functions be partially engaged. loading the hydraulics and making heat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This tractor has front end hydraulic hook ups for additional equipment. Never used the front end hook ups. What could be engaged? I have no manuals with this mower and know very little about it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Feel the hoses and see if they heat up. The hydraulic valve may be partially open and is dead heading on the hoses.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is the hydraulic valve located
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Follow the hoses front the front hookup, back to the control valve. What is the exact model for the tractor? Usually 7 digits. Simplicity manual may be available for it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Simplicity Legacy XL
27 HP
MFG (###) ###-####Serial 00314
Package (###) ###-####
I will try this and let you know if this works. Please let me know if the manual is available. Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Here is site to download.