Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I am replacing a 19Hp Kohler courage with a &S 18hp I/C. I

Customer Question

good morning. I am replacing a 19Hp Kohler courage with a B&S 18hp I/C. I was told by the engine seller that the wiring were compatible. They are not. I need to rewire the B&S.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: Yes it was in a Toro lawn tractor.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can. I can do small wiring. I have already mounted the engine. Mounted the engine in the Cub Cadet lawn tractor.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: basically, I know I need a plug that will fit into the plug that exists in the Cub Cadet. and I need to know which wires from the B&S need to go to which socket.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

There s no easy way to wire the plug. Here is a manual from Briggs, giving all the alternatives. Starting t page 17 shows conversions and wiring required. See if you can go from there. Basically you have to identify which wire goes where, on both engines, and then change wiring to accommodate,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. Thanks for the B&S wiring. Do you have the same for Kohler? And possibly where to get the plug?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Curtis are you still there?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

No, you have to trace each wire on the Kohler and write down its source. There is no plug, you can take the kohler plug and rewire it for the Briggs side, then it will match.