Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2009 Troy Bilt Pony with the 17.5 hp engine. It

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Troy Bilt Pony with the 17.5 hp engine. It runs well except the first few gears, do not work very well. The tractor will not move forward in the first 3 gears. In the 4th, it will move until it comes to an incline, when it quits moving. When in move it toe 5th, it moves forward very quickly.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: No. I am not sure how old the engine is. The blades (new) work very well. I have changed the blades, oil and air filter. Battery is strong.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of, it is just the first 3 or 4 gears that do not move the mower forward.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your mower questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

do you have a model number for that mower?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Model #13AN77KG011
Serial #1L217B30306
The problem is, there are about 7 forward speeds for the mower, but only the top 3 or 4 work and the bottom (1, 2 &3) will not move the mower, even at increased rpm?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not at the mower at this time. I have already paid $27 and I have not received any answers yet.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you familiar with the Troy Bilt Pony lawn tractor?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Over?
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

So have you verified the fluid level and condition in the rear end/trans?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lets just cancel this and refund the charge. I have not received any information, so I may need to get more information on my mower and contact you at a later date.
Thank you.
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 1 month ago.

no problem just contact customer service