Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have Troy-Bilt generator 5550 watts. After I start the…

Customer Question
Hello, I have Troy-Bilt...

Hello, I have Troy-Bilt generator 5550 watts. After I start the engine, engine is running on choke, but after turning to RUN engine stops. What is the probleb?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, Fuel is fresh, oil is filled, valve is open and I can easily start the engine. It runs on choke (lever position), then you have to turn it into RUN position, but engine stops.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It looks like choke lever turns off the engine when turned to RUN position. What should i do ?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/9/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
If the engine will run in the choke position but not in the Run position the carburetor is not supplying enough fuel to the cylinder.
When the choke is on you have less air so it runs fine being as it has less fuel but when you unchoke machine you have more air than fuel so it is killing the engine.
You will need to clean carburetor with carb cleaner make sure to clean all Jets The center jet is the most important has this is the main fuel supply jet.
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and also strive for a 5 star rating
do you really think that is is carburetor jet clogged?
if the machine will run on choke the carburetor is your problem
I have carb cleaner. Is it just to spary cleaner on it, or clean it somehow mechanically too?
How would I know that jets are cleaned?
You will have to remove the carburetor from the machine and remove the bowl from the bottom of the carburetor.
Use the straw with the carburetor cleaner and spray in the center of the carb.
Search youtube.com on how to clean a carburetor as there are really good videos on there that will help you do this.
I am more of a visual person so these help me more at times
Thank you, ***** ***** going to try it. I think this is the end of conversation then.
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you.
Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and I strive for a 5 star rating.