Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Outdoor garden tractor with a tecumseh ov691ea

Customer Question

I have a White Outdoor garden tractor with a tecumseh ov691ea engine. The starter keep hesitating and wont start. I have replaced the battery, starter, solenoid, regulator, and ignition switch. The problem started with the engine surging a little bit. I initially changed the spark plugs, which were very fouled for some reason, it seemed to help a bit. Then I changed the air filter, which seemed to help for a little bit, but this last time I thought I would add a bit of carb cleaner. So I stopped mowing and pulled into the garage. Shut the engine down added a bit of cleaner, went to start it back up and everything sound crazy. Something was clunking around. I have tore things apart probably five times now. This last time I tried resetting the solid state ignition coils and the tractor fired but it still sounds like the started is not getting consistent power. One last bit that may help. When I was doing the carb cleaner and restarting the tractor, the acid in the battery boiled over a bit. That is why I went with the battery first, and then the regulator. I have checked continuity with the ignition coils they test fine, but something is shorting out, I think. The battery does not drain over night so I ruled out the diode. My thinking leads me to the alternator, but I am tired of spending money with little results, any ideas?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of, the tractor is a 2005 GT 950H
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Remove the spark plugs and see if the starter will spin the engine. If not, see if you can turn engine 360 degrees by hand. If it stops and will not turn, it has broken parts inside!