Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Our generic won't start, yes we drained the old gas that was

Customer Question

our generic won't start
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes we drained the old gas that was in there put fresh gas and cleaned the spark plug still won't start we do not know if it is the battery
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: at this point yes. hurricane irma is coming and there is no on e else to help
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: we have only used it once or twice so its basically brand new
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we have only used it once we drained the previous gas and put in new betas cleaned the spark plug. it was just about to start fo9r a sec then it didnt
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
generac gp6500
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
once of them started. the battery was dead. we are checking the other generac that did not want to start
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

That is not the model number. That is the family class.

I need the actual model and serial number.

And while you are at the genset, since I know it is a GP family, go ahead and check to see if you are getting spark to the plug.

To check for spark, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.
Remove the spark plug from the cylinder.
Attach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.
Using insulated tools so you do not get shocked, hold the base of the plug to the bare metal of the engine.
Crank the engine and observe the plug for spark. There should be a bright blue spark jumping the gap of the spark plug.
Check both cylinders.
Is there spark present?
.