Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a used/new to me log splitter with an Idle to Wide

Customer Question
Hello, I have a used/new...
Hello, I have a used/new to me log splitter with an Idle to Wide Open Throttle (WOT) problem. The engine is a horizontal shaft Briggs and Stratton 10hp Cast Iron Industrial Commercial model 221432 type 035301 code 931014B with the updraft flo jet carb and manual throttle and manual choke. First, I am not 100% certain the correct governor linkage was installed by the previous owner, or that perhaps a part(s) may have fallen off when I towed the splitter home. The engine starts on the first pull, idles fine, responds to the choke properly, but when I slowly advance the throttle, the engine jumps immediately from idle to WOT, with no in between. I can control the throttle valve on the carburetor manually thru all RPMs and the engine responds smoothly. My observation while running the engine at idle, the governor spring is fully extended/max tension and is at a 90 degree angle to the governor control arm (I can even split wood at idle and the governor will kick in under load) however when I advance the throttle, the throttle control plate moves the governor spring to a position parallel with the governor control arm (beginning approx. 1/4 of the travel) at that point there is no longer any tension against the governor arm by the governor spring what so ever and the WOT condition occurs. I have looked up the Brings "control assembly" diagram that you posted for another client with the same model and everything "appears" to match the Link-Mechanical Governor and Spring-Governor shown. I can provide photos if that would help, please let me know what further information I can provide. Thank you in advance for your time!
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/8/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Look under governors in the manual below.

I will review the chapter in detail and follow up by tomorrow. Thank you.

OK< thanks!

Okay, having looked through both sections on governor and linkages, all parts on the engine match the shape and location so I do not think anything is missing. Figure 82 of page 19 of section 4 best representing carb linkages. Figure 28 on page 14 of section 5 best represents the carb and governor linkages. I have attached several pictures that may help, it's kind of tough to get the camera up close. Also, not sure I mentioned in my original question that I can feel significant upward force from the governor arm when the engine is running and the throttle is past the 1/4 position. Without any resistance from the governor spring, WOT results and would continue if I did not intervene to bring the engine back to idle. Please advise when able on next steps/further information you may need. Thank you.

I will opt out. I can't fix it from here. Let's get another expert involved, my wife has me on too many honey do's to try and work on this. Sorry. Please do NOT respond to me or it locks question to me an no one else will answer.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician