Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

4000 watt RV generator from 1997 suddenly now shuts off

Customer Question
4000 watt RV generator...

4000 watt RV generator from 1997 suddenly now shuts off (engine) as soon as I turn on breaker

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

4BGEFA26100M 1997 PURCHASE

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

IF ITS POSSIABLE i WOULD

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

? runs good? won't generate?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/8/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 9 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Is your RV equipped with an automatic transfer switch, or do you have an onboard receptacle you need to plug your shore cord into for genset power?

no automatic transfer switch
where are you now?

I was at work.

I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

I can't be online 24/7, but I am online almost every day.

Unplug your shore cord from the onboard receptacle, and start the genset.

Turn the genset breaker on.

If it still trips, there is a short somewhere between the genset and the receptacle. It could be in the receptacle box itself, or in a junction box between the genset and the receptacle. In this junction box is a common place for shorts to occur.

If it doesn't shut off with the shore cord unlugged, You have a short or a bad appliance in the RV.

Turn the genset breaker on.If it still trips, ...
IT does not "trip", the engine shuts down (motor stops running like it was turned off).

Does the engine still shut down if you turn the breaker on with the shore cord unplugged?

there is a short somewhere between the genset and the receptacle. It could be in the receptacle box itself, or in a junction box between the genset and the receptacle. In this junction box is a common place for shorts to occur.

Have you found anything yet?