Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Have an almost new small engine push mower. Used it for trim…

Customer Question
Have an almost new...

Have an almost new small engine push mower. Used it for trim about 3-4 times. Next time I tried to start it would not start or even try to start. Check for spark and it was ok, added fuel to cylinder and it ran a few seconds. While looking it over noticed a white nipple that looked like it was for a hose, like a gas line or air line under the /or to the side of the primmer. Is there something missing?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

The fuel is clean and the tank is full. I am not aware of any shut off valve on this model of Briggs & straton Engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if it is simple, I am 75 and have problems getting up and down. Am hoping I just need to replace what ever was suppose to be on the "white" nipple.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If (I put my finger over the nipple while priming the engine I can get it to start but it will not continue to run even if I continue to hold my finger on it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/8/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

I would have had a rubber cap over it. You can make a cap out of a piece of hose and plugging the open end of the hose. Or go to auto supply and get a cap that will fit over the nipple.

I see question is still open.????