JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I have a DEK 5650 generator that will only run for 10

Customer Question

I have a DEK 5650 generator that will only run for 10 seconds and then stops. I've started it this way 30 times but can't keep it riunning. I haven't ran it for two years and the gas in the tank is old. Any first suggestions?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, yes and don't know. It's old fuel
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm open to help
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm in Tampa Florida
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.
First thing I would do is drain all the fuel from that tank. Fill tank with new fuel and use a fuel additive such as seafoam or Mechanic In A Bottle. You most likely have a partially clogged carburetor jet and the carburetor will need to be removed and cleaned.
Make sure to clean through all of the fuel jets mainly the center jet
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I clean the carburetor jet and all the fuel jets
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.
Remove carburetor and you can either soak it in carb cleaner, or use air compressor to blow through the center jet and the 1-2 jets on the air filter side of carb. The center jet is the main jet that supplies fuel to the cylinder
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you know anyone in my area that can help me with that? (Tampa Fl)
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.
Not personally, but if you will type this into Google.
SMALL ENGINE REPAIR SHOPS IN TAMPA FLORIDAMany will come up.
I would start making calls and see if they can get you in asap as I know this needs to be doneLet me know if you need anything else as I am here for you.
Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and strive for a five star rating