Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My TroyBilt 2700 PSI Professional power washer will start

Customer Question

My TroyBilt 2700 PSI Professional power washer will start but only work for 3 minutes. I get good pressure in that period. I can hear the engine staining after a couple of minutes than I lose pressure and it stalls. I must leave it for a couple hours before it will start only for it to do the same thing. I have replaced spark plugs air filters and have checked the oil.The unit is about three years old and has had this problem of not starting when hot. Could this be heat related and could it be the thermal control device causing this or the unloading valve. For the last three years I could use it as long as I did not run out of gas or turn it off. Now I can start it but cannot get more than three minutes of usage.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, and I installed a shut off valve to eliminate the possibility of flooding. I also checked the plug for flooding and it was not wet. The other day I started it and attached my driveway attachment thinking it might be the the attachment that came with it. I ran for 15 minutes until I released the trigger and the engine immediately stalled.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have had this unit to two small engine repair shops to no avail. One shop replaced the timing gear and cam shaft which did not solve the problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

When it quits, is it hard to turn? Problem may not be the engine, but the pump locking up.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open.????

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can start it and use it as long as I don't release the trigger. When I release the trigger the motor stops and will not start for several hours.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Locate the unloader valve and remove it and see if it may be sticking.