JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

Having same problem with 15000 centurion generator as person

Customer Question

Having same problem with 15000 centurion generator as person 4 years ago, disconnect ground wire and it will run but will not shut off with the rocker switch
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Generac 15000 Centurian ultra source don't know
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am doing the work
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: been looking at an answer 4 years ago which looks like the same problem. Just don't know what he did to fix it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

RUN A NEW GROUND WIRE TO THE IGNITION COIL TO THE SWITCH AND SEE IF THIS WORKS. NORMALLY THIS ISSUE IS CAUSED BY A FAULTY WIRE OR THE IGNITION COIL NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am told I need a new harness with new diodes is this the case
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
engine will run but will not shut off with ground disconnected so coils are functioning properly
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.
No you will not. You should be able to run a single new wire
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok Will try
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you.
Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and I strive for a five star rating.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The ground wire to the coils (Plural) this is a 15000 watt generator, look perfectly fine the stud that goes through the housing goes to a wire which goes to a relay. The ground wires are working as they should when grounded they stop the engine. when wire to relay on stud #18 shuts the engine off when hooked up. The wire does not go to the switch as instructed?????????
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any other wires on stud 18?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only the ground which runs to the relay next to the control board. Appears to be a control board issue or possibly a relay. The hurricane is getting close now will not be able to repair in time.